Christmas Dinner – Volunteer roles
2019 is the sixth year the Acts of Kindness Charitable Trust will be facilitating the Dunedin Community Christmas Dinner together with the tremendous support we get from our volunteers.
- Table Host – you host your own “Christmas Dinner” within the event at your table with 9 guests. A caring attitude and good communication skills are essential. Tasks include, ensuring any “special dietary” needs are recorded, serving soft drinks, plate clearing, directing guests to bathrooms, tea/coffee service at the end of the meal. You will also eat a meal with your guests.
- Waiter – Quite a bit of walking so you need to be prepared for that – carrying two plates at a time (one in each hand)
- Food Plater – helping to plate the food (production line) this is a very fast moving process
- Kitchen Duties – basically doing whatever Chef asks you to do. It is the Chef’s preference that our volunteers have previously worked in a Commercial kitchen and familiarity with food handling regulations – but this is negotiable as many of our previous volunteers have catered at school camps etc
- Food prep prior to Christmas day – (as above) preference to have people familiar with a commercial kitchen and food handling regulations
- Table set up and hall decorating prior to Christmas day
Please let me know if any of these roles would suit you by filling out this form with your details.
On Christmas Day we ask all our volunteers to be at the Town Hall by 10.45am at the latest. This gives us time for registration, health & safety briefing, and instructions on your specific role. You can arrive earlier if you would like – there is always last minute things to do like putting drinks on tables etc.
Guests arrive at 11.30am
Meal is served from 12.30
Guests are fare welled at 2.30pm
We have a variety of entertainment during the event.
The number of guests is usually around 500 (just in case you want to know how many we cater for)!
We try our best to feed all our volunteers at the event as well.
The meal consists of a Main course and a dessert. Menu is roast meat with seasonal vegetables and dessert is plum pudding, custard, pavlova, fruit salad and cream
There is no cost for the guests attending.
For health & safety reasons we do not allow volunteers to be younger than 10 years of age and children aged between 10 & 14 need to work alongside a parent/caregiver. We rely on the parent/caregiver to know the maturity level of the child to be fit to complete the role assigned.
I look forward to hearing from you and once again thank you for wanting to be part of this very special day.
Acts of Kindness Charitable Trust.